Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Field is Hispanic and Ready to Harvest

Hijole! 



Imma start with the bad this week:

- I saw two dogs get run over in a row which smallkine messed me up for the rest of the day  
- We had some crappy Mexican food with our District
- We tried to contact a referral and it ended up being this white guy named Randy so we couldn't teach him and his dog also attacked us

Here's the good!

- There's a lot of geese in Idaho and I love geese
- I saw the sunrise over Wal Mart (where all the action happens in Burley)
- There were some meeeeeean sunsets this week
- The milk in Idaho is really good (not sure if it's because there's a lecheria right down the road or if it's just in my head hahaha)
- We teach this guy with a knife that's stuck in his door 
- P-Day volley ball is the JAM
- I translated in Sacrament Meeting (skuuuurd!)
- Listened to some Sufjan Stevens
- I met a Hawaiian aunty and guess where she grad - KAHUKU



The work here is definitely tough. I feel like I've been a marriage counselor this week because literally every one of our about 19 investigators plus all of the less-actives we teach have marriages that are just straight up falling apart. A lot of the visits we have had have just been listening to people's problems and lots of tears and us trying to find something that will help them simply through the week.

Meeting that aunty from Hawaii made my DAY - she showed me pictures of her family at the Laie temple and at Kahuku. We teach her husband Jose because he only speaks Spanish. We also jammed on teaching the less-actives this week - I love teaching menos activos, it's my favorite. It's really sad to see people who have had these huge testimonies of the truthfulness of the gospel and just don't want to go to church anymore for some reason or another, but it's good to just visit them and let them know that we love them. One of the less actives made us Enchiladas SOOO ONO

One thing I love so much about Idaho so far is that everyone has such different, unique stories! A lot of our investigators have these craaaaazy as conversion stories and they are so willing to share them with us! Half the time I can't actually catch half of the story because everyone speaks such quickkkk Spanish but I feel the spirit and it's so sweet! We teach a less-active family, the Familia Pacheco, and the mom told us about this experience with the Book of Mormon where she was like paralyzed one night and all she could do was read. She basically read the entire Book of Mormon in a span of 24 hours and couldn't eat or drink or anything. Nueses! Hermana Rangel is another one with a crazy story about her baptism. We have so many stories!


Lastly, me and Hermana Peterson were riding in the car back to Burley from doing some work in Paul and we were talking about music and Sufjan came up and she was like "I have one of his songs!" and she turned it on and I just bawled like all the way home because Sufjan is like this old friend that I have that I haven't talked to in a long time and then I got to talk to him and be filled with some super happy joy. Lovely. 


This week I have really learned I am here for a reason. We have had tonnnns of lessons and appointments fall through but the ones that we do end up having, the people say, "I really needed a visit from the missionaries today! I was having the worst day and then you showed up!" So me and Hermana Peterson are stoked because we know that we're doing the Lord's work and working as hard as we can.

Love you all! Remember that God loves you! 

Hermana Elkington 

No comments:

Post a Comment