Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Who da ho? IDAHO

Aloha all my pineapples! 


So Idaho! What! I'm serving in the Burley/Paul area - me and my Trainer are over 2 whole stakes here, but we go to the Spanish Branch on Sundays. It's about 2 1/2 hours away from Boise! It is cold and flat and brown and dusty and WINDY and snowy and full of dirt! I swear I have not seen a tree since I've been here (that's not actually true but it feels like it).

There are 8 Spanish speaking sisters in the mission. We are only allowed to teach people that speak Spanish, so there are no English lessons. Since I have been here we've had a new investigator, her name is Elli (she's from Mexico, as are most of the Hispanics that are here). She just had a new baby and we have been teaching her and her ten year old daughter - our last lesson right before we left her daughter ran up to us and slipped two cans of soda in our hands jajaja love it. 

So we've visited more people than I can count since I've been here - there are tons of people who are investigators, less-actives, or just members that LOVE to have us over. There's one investigator named Juan Trinidad who reminds me of Grandpa Waha because he's just this old man who loooooves to talk to us and tell stories which is what I love too. 

It's been way hard to speak only Spanish - I love talking to people and getting to know them but honestly so far I haven't been able to understand a whole ton. It's a process - my companion is from Virginia and has been out for 5 months and her Spanish is pretty good. 



One SUPER SUAVE experience I've had so far was on Sunday, two kids from the Rios family came to church with us. One is a girl (16) and the other is a little boy (10), they came with us because their dad had work that Sunday. We had to translate the classes for them because only Sacrament Meeting is in Spanish so that was crazy - after Church was over they gave us huge hugs and said they wanted to come back every week! That was crazy to hear from investigators - it's actually real! What in the eff! I was so strengthened to see that they were touched by the spirit that day. It's real stuff! It's good stuff! 

I love you all bunches and bunches. Someone back jump in the ocean for me PLEEEASE because I'm dying already and I haven't even been out a week. But on a real note, these people are wonderful and I feel such a love here, it's amazing. 

Lots of love,
Hermana Elkington 

No comments:

Post a Comment