Wednesday, November 1, 2017

For the TWIN

Someone help a sistah out and really send me some workouts cuz still gaining weight like a walrus here in the dope land of Idahoooooo


This week I was reading a letter from one of my teachers in the MTC (from 12 years ago) and here's something that he said:

"In Boise, if you win over the hearts of the members, you will have a successful mission." 

I was kinda struck by this because of how true it has been. When we establish relationships with the members in our branches and areas, we get referrals of people to teach; we get people wanting to come to church and to learn more about the gospel. But HOW do we establish these relationships with members?

One of the most valuable things I've learned on my mission so far is how to find the balance between being myself and being a Disciple of Christ. Really they're connected, but at first, that was so hard to recognize. I think as we build relationships with others, whether they're members of the church or not, we need to always remember to be ourselves. God didn't call me on a mission to be a missionary; he called me here to be ME. And when we are ourselves, when we're real and help people to find good food and choose to laugh, we build real relationships. We become more like Jesus. 

It's been pretty dope to figure out how to do this on my mission so far. I'm so incredibly grateful for every second of it, the good and the bad. It's been a journey, for sure, a self-finding journey and full of frustration a lot of the time, but I think it's something really valuable as well, entonces vale la pena! I love this gospel. If it weren't for Jesus, I would have driven our minivan all the way to Cali to see the ocean lol. But still here! #proudofme It's a good ride. Keep loving others friends! Love like Jesus! 

Love you all <3 <3 write me back if you need anything. Hope you all have a BALLER WEEK go play some basketball and watch the sunset

Oceans of love,
Hermana Elkington

p.s. here's me and Alex Athans @ the temple open house!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment