Monday, May 14, 2018

coming from the cold

aloha aunties&unkos,

this week was good to me still, I keep waiting for it to take a downturn and God keeps givin' me good, so so grateful. This was our first week in the ward when we went to the English Sacrament Meeting and let me tell you, serving in a branch my whole mission has been a huge blessing, but also sitting there and listening to talks in English was kind of incredible. There are a lot more members than I am used to and it was cool to feel the spirit with all of them - I felt embraced and loved [and loved for who I am] by the people here and it feels nice. 


We went to Ketchum Burrito this week the day we didn't have a dinner and it was pouring rain, there was tons of snow up in Sun Valley (it's May but it's also Idaho, tired of being surprised), we ran from our car into the restaurant and bob marley's "coming in from the cold" was playing - literally we were coming in from the cold, but also serving here has been like coming home. I don't think I'll want to leave when the time comes. Brother Niedrich asked us to start his lawn mower this week and I felt like it might've been Uncle Buddy asking, but back to reality, still got the nametag on (still grateful for it too). Also got bikes this week, so you know how happy I am. 

We got a referral for a Part-Member Family this week and they live on the same property that we do, so we stopped by one night to go see them and it was one of my favorite meetings ever. We didn't end up teaching anything really, just kind of explained who we are as missionaries and introduced ourselves. They were leaving for a week and asked us to water their lawn each night, so we go over there and watch the sunset as we practice spanish and set the sprinklers off. It makes me real happy. But what made me more happy is that they offered to have us over for elk burgers when they get back, and I think that's what missionary work is all about - it's about teaching the gospel, but that's done in a lot more ways than I would have previously thought. It's about forming real human relationships with others and being you and loving. And that's how people really come to know Christ. 



Loads of Love,
Hanatea Elkington 

No comments:

Post a Comment