Saturday, January 20, 2018

Jesus our Brother, Strong and Good

Christmastime brings all these weird memories like Mom singing to Whitney Houston's Christmas album and playing in the flooded fields with all the stray dogs in Laie. My Aunt sent  me this cool wreath made of rosemery that she grew in her garden and I was reminded of when my Sister got these rosemery essential oils for my Dad and he was all like "yeeeeeeeee now I can smell like a chicken all the time!" We've been listening to so much Vocal Point and Pentatonix that I feel like I'm living in freaking Pitch Perfect and thank goodness that I have the Oh Hello's Family Christmas Album to remind me of the good ol' spotify days and good music-sharing homies. 


Christmastime also brings all these weird questions, like why does everyone in Twin Falls seem to be so grumpy? Have I really gained that much weight, or does it just seem like it because I have to wear like 6 pairs of leggings (unfortunately, I don't think it's the latter...)? What was the name of the donkey that carried Jesus? Did he get the credit he deserved? 

As I've tried to take Hermano Quezada's most golden advice during this season of snow and ice and sliding into stop signs and getting dropped by investigators on Christmas day, "learn to swallow sadness like a boss," I've found the more meaningful things around me, like caroling with good friends and learning to make tamales, and have loved to spend the season serving my God. It was a blessing to talk to family and laugh and hear my Sister's voice again. I'm reminded that I truly do love this work, as hard as it is! Why do I love it? Why do I love walking all over Twin Falls through the snow when our car is in the shop? Why do I love people not wanting us to come back? I dunno mannnnnn, but there's somethin' about it. 

Sister Hansen sent me a letter with a talk in it from Christmas and in it, it says,

"Christmas is about Christ coming to Earth for all of us, living or dead. But although it is easy for us to worship the precious baby, the importance of the Christ is his example in ancient Israel, His suffering in Gethsemane and Golgotha, His sacrifice, and ultimately, His death and resurrection. So in this world all die, but in Christ, 'All are made alive'. He was the one that suffered...and by his stripes we are healed."

I think my favorite thing to teach people about the Gospel is that through Christ, our families can be together after this life. We invite people to come unto Him each day, whether that be through healing a relationship with a loved one, quitting a bad habit, shoveling your neighbor's driveway, listening to some good Christmas music, whatever. You find your way to be happy. As you heal others, you heal yourself. 

Lots of Love this time of year fam. Hope everyone's doin' happy and staying warm and drinking lots of eggnog 

LOVES & LOVES & LOVES,
Hermana Hanatea Elkington 

No comments:

Post a Comment