Saturday, June 3, 2017

BURLEY TO BOISE

Aloooooooha all you GUAVAS! 


This has been one of the hardest weeks of my mission so far. I keep reading all of my friend's emails on how great mission work is and how many people they're helping, and it is so wonderful and makes me feel inspired. But today imma be a little real with you all - because this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. 

I got the call that I was getting transferred from Burley to Boise on Tuesday and hooooly crap did my heart hurt. I remember getting to Burley and just thinking, "what in the WORLD am I doing here?" And it was cold and there was no grass - and then Burley just squeezed it's way into my heart and the leaves and flowers came out and I met some of the best people I've ever met in my whole life. And to leave that was so hard - I had only been there for 2 transfers, about 3 months, and it was so hard! Saying goodbye to people just was killer, but I got a hug from Juan Trinidad (my homeboy) and Araceli and had some great last days with my wonderful companion Hermana Allen (we were #compgoals this transfer and had a buttload of fun while we were together).



And here I am in Boise!

There are cars everywhere and so many people and places to eat and shop and I guess I'm not meant to live in a city because it's crazy and I'm not used to it. It is beautiful here as well though - we have explored downtown Boise and had a BBQ with our little Spanish Branch in a park that was just golden. 

Since I've been in Boise, here are some fun things that have happened:
- I walked some dogs of a Potential Investigator
- Me and Hermana Sundstrom got lost and drove outside of the Mission Boundaries #rebels
- We ate dinner at 5 GUYS
- We were way late in getting home one night (also #rebel)

The work here is so different. We are both new to the area and Hermana Sundstrom, my new companion, has the BIGGEST heart in the whole world and is also the most direction-challenged person I have ever met hahaha so we are just getting lost everywhere we go. I am ready to work and ready to FIND some people to work with, and although the mission sometimes just sucks crap, we are going to help this area become better (with a buttload of help from God). 

Lastly, here are some thoughts that I wanted to share. I received some emails/letters from good friends that I've been reading (to try and help me through this effing mess that's me haha) and here are some things that stood out to me that really helped me:

- "Let go of what you think it means to be a missionary and be YOU"
- "We spend too much time doing things because it's what others expect from us. This is why our love lacks His power - we have to love as HE loved." 

I have a hard time being obedient. I have a hard time figuring out how to balance being a missionary and being me. I have a hard time working with new people, staying with a companion 24/7, and remembering the names of everyone I meet. I have a hard time not being able to go to the beach whenever I want and feel the ocean around me. It's a struggle! But this week I've learned to take a step back and just LOVE. Because we are here as missionaries to spread a message of love - we are here to love. That's it. To love people, to love areas, to love missionaries, and to love God.



Thanks for listening to my rant. I love you all so much, and have learned so much from each and every one of you! If you want to tell me how much you love me (lol) write me or email me! If any of you RM's out there (or missionaries in the field) have any "finding people to teach" techniques, hit me UP! Here's to IDAHO my braddaz! Keep on keepin' on!

Lots of love,
Hermana Elkington

No comments:

Post a Comment